Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Mere Exposure Effect

So today I decided to be a lab rat in 3.5 hours of experiments. It was time consuming but I actually learned a little bit. So I'll share my wealth of knowledge. Anyway, one of the experiments stood out from the rest. Perhaps it could be due to it being the only time I wasn't falling asleep.

There's this term called the Mere Exposure Effect which is basically the tendency for one to have a preference over a particular stimuli resulting from repeated mere exposure. However, the person does not need to be able to recognize the stimulus for that to happen, and thus it is suggested that it's due to the implicit memory system being the underlying mechanism.

Anyway I thought this was interesting because it could have an effect on everyone of us and in our decision-making. This basically means that something as common as choosing our consumer goods to something more complicated such as being singled out for outstanding achievements in a practical job. So if you ever wondered how you got your name, it is highly probable that your parents were exposed to a name like yours or something related.

No comments: