Thursday, October 05, 2006

Procrastination

Procrastination is easy, but making up for it is not. Effective procrastination requires one to be able to make up for the loss time effectively. It is a skill that not everyone possesses. I would say approximately 70% of the population are procrastinators. I mean, given a chance to put something off for something better is a very enticing prospect indeed. In most cases, their opportunity costs would be weighed such that whatever work they have to do is forgone for something of pleasure.

Making up for procrastination usually incurs a lot of energy. Stress is often strongly associated with that, especially when it comes to last minute work. It has been said that last minute work results in waste due to the haste. However, in some cases, the haste results in good things. Some people work better under pressure while others simply buckle over. Not everyone can work the same way. Unfortunately, this would be the demise of some. They are bad procrastinators in the sense that they do not know how to make up for their procrastination.

Procrastination has very strong links to socialization as it is usually the result of your peers and surroundings. Often, one would rather succumb to the temptation of meeting a friend for a movie or meal rather than concentrate on the completion of an assignment. Of course there are exceptions, but this is the general consensus. Procrastination can also sometimes be a way of bonding a group. Everyone just decides to procrastinate and voila, we have a good hang out session.

Procrastination is a big part of my life although I wouldn't say I'm proud of it. However, I find that I am indeed one of those who are good at procrastination. My high distinction on my philosophy essay is proof of that. That is a stark contrast to my other assignments which I prepared for way in advance. I guess this is a good strategy for me. However, I might have to learn the ways of the non-procrastinator as I can't afford to have soaring stress levels. High stress levels lead to many problems including high blood pressure and mood swings.

I feel like writing more but I think I'll do it tomorrow...and the week after

No comments: