Monday, August 04, 2008

Good Masses

What makes a good mass? If you're a regular church-goer like me, you've definitely had your fair share There are several factors that make a mass good. Let me first list them out before elaborating further on each factor.
  1. Interesting and charismatic priest
  2. Good, lively choir
  3. Familiar songs
  4. Going with the right people
  5. Good weather

1: Interesting and Charismatic Priest

A priest leads the mass. He is by default, the leader of the church. He is the main conductor of the mass. If he speaks slowly and monotonously, mass would be utterly boring. Yes, granted a mass is supposed to be a solemn event/ritual. However, it is a different scenario nowadays. I'm not saying a solemn mass is boring, as it can be really good despite the monotony. It's just that, the monotony in that situation is appropriate.

I'm a church-hopper and I've attended many masses in many different churches in a variety of countries. I've been to churches in New Zealand, Australia, China, and Singapore, just to name a few. In addition, I've attended masses in rural areas as well as those in the main city area. And there is without a doubt, a profound importance of a priest's quality. I can't emphasize this enough.


One of the best masses I've been to was in Sydney on Palm Sunday in 2007. The weather was pleasant and the mass was in St. Marys cathedral. It was a huge affair with the cardinal and bishop all celebrating it. The guest priest was this American Franciscan friar who was extremely capturing and charismatic. His sermon was like what you'd see on tv where the celebrant walks up and down asking people to just shout out and praise the Lord.


2. Good, lively choir

Other than the priest, the choir is the next important part of the mass. Without music, mass would be an incredibly drab affair. I've personally attended many masses that had plenty of people and no music at all. The masses were always short, but I'd leave every time, feeling unfulfilled.

A choir usually dictates the mood of a mass. Choirs are easy to find, but good choirs do not always come by easily. A good choir lifts the spirits of the parishioners, fills the church with song, and fulfils every one spiritually. It would leave you wishing the mass would go on and on, and then eventually leaving with a smile on your face and a sense of warmth in your heart.

3. Familiar Songs

One of the things that used to annoy me when I attended mass was when the choir sang songs that were completely alien to me. There are times when the church is full and there are no song sheets/books to go around. When that happens, it is very difficult to follow a song. Some churches actually have an overhead projector to help those without song sheets/books to follow, but the unfamiliarity of songs still inhibit proper singing.

I personally love getting involved in the mass. When I attend mass, I want to praise God, I want to sing out loud. Thus, when I am not allowed to do that, I'd feel extremely annoyed. It would spoil my mood for the whole day for I would be deprived of the spiritual fulfilment that I seek due to the fact that I wasnt able to praise God the way I wanted.

New songs are good, but old songs are always a gem. You need a mix of the old and the new. Not everything new is good. So if choir masters could all just remember that, mass would be a much more enjoyable affair.

4. Going with the right people


Going to mass alone isn't the worst thing in the world, and on the contrary, could be a much more fulfilling affair. However, it's always nice going with other people. Sometimes, when those you go with are equally as enthusiastic as you, it rubs off. Trust me, it's a really good feeling.
I'd really say more about this, but it's really just hard to explain without being very long-winded. It's basically the influence and the proximity of the other people. Go with the right people, and you'll know what I mean.

5. Good weather


Don't you hate it when you attend a very lively mass and it's raining heavily outside? I mean you're all happy and fuzzy inside only to step out and see the place to gloomy. Then for the not-so-fortunate ones who have to take public transport or walk home or to wherever they're going after mass, they'll face getting wet. Even those who drive might get wet.
Ever notice you feel much happier when a mass is good, and then you walk out to nice weather? Enough said.

No comments: