Wednesday, March 15, 2006

One Bad Apple

I've just returned from my volleyball training. Unlike the usual trainings, I felt rather agitated and frustrated today. It wasn't so much my inability to play like I used to in my High School days, but rather an individual who I hate so much. This brings back memories of my early High School Volleyball days. That time it was a guy named C who was very obnoxious and had this attitude that I simply hated. It was the sort of attitude that makes you just want to go up to him and give him a good bop in the nose. A hard one mind you.

So fast forward to today and we see some sort of parallel. Again it was another obnoxious idiot with a bad attitude. I don't need someone to trash talk. I don't need someone to comment on my setting. He's not the coach and I know what I'm doing. If he's some world class player then perhaps that would be alright since they've obviously 'been there, done that'. On the contrary, he's just an average player who thinks he's better than he really is.

I toyed with the idea of quitting the team. However, this was exactly the same thing I thought about years back in High School. I will emulate what I did, by staying on. I will not quit because of some obnoxious asshole. I will play my game and ignore him. As some say, "Silence is the best form of protest".

For a team to be successful, they don't just need to have skill. They also need to be able to function as a unit. This is not quite the case for this current team. I don't feel anything for any of them. The only guys I really bother talking to and playing cohesively are those on the training team. They're more down to earth and have good communication. That should be the what the division 2 team should put into practice. There's no way I can see this team progressing. The standard is low and they team does not gell. Why can't I have something like my High School team? Those were the days.

No comments: